Quebec’s father of cardiology
After studying medicine at the University of Montreal, Dr. David pursued a new science yet in its infancy: cardiology.
In Montreal, Dr. David was approached by the Sisters of Charity with a request to head the cardiology unit of Maisonneuve Hospital. A visionary at a young age, he insisted on being given an entire floor of the hospital complete with its own separate administration, foreseeing an institute dedicated entirely to the development of cardiology. In 1954, Dr. David's dream became a reality with the opening of the Montreal Heart Institute (MHI), Canada's first facility to consolidate all cardiology services under one roof. Considered the heart and soul of the MHI, Dr. David was the Institute’s director from its inception to his retirement in 1985.