Memorial University of Newfoundland
Returning in-person Friday, May 26, 2023
Our national Discovery Days program aims to educate, encourage and inspire high school students who are curious about careers in medicine and health sciences. The Canadian Medical Hall of Fame is committed to fostering inclusion and supporting the leadership efforts at Canadian universities to change the diversity pathway to medicine and the health sciences. We encourage teachers to include students who self-identify as Indigenous, Black or a Person of Colour, or who come from a rural or known disadvantaged socioeconomic background, when considering who will be invited to attend this event.
Each event features exhibits, a captivating keynote lecture, interactive workshops, and a thought-provoking career panel discussion. Download our agenda here.
We invite participation from community practitioners, faculty, trainees, staff and students with a passion for outreach to youth. Use the submission form found further below to join in this exciting program!
- Setup outside the medical school main auditorium, a limited number of informative exhibits will open with registration at 8:45 am and are available to participants throughout the program
- If desired, a representative can interact with visitors during registration and lunch
- Small interactive group sessions offer students the opportunity to learn more about a particular health care field from the presenters
- Workshops are offered in the morning 10:30 - 12:00 and afternoon 1:00 - 2:30
- Presenters can opt for one or both sessions as fits their schedule
- The number of students in any workshop is set by the presenters
- Workshops that run both AM and PM will have two different groups of students
- Presenters are responsible for their own room and A/V bookings
- For ideas view our 2019 catalogue as well as our tips sheet
- The moderated panel discussion comprises five health care academics/professionals from various fields who will each have three minutes to share with the entire audience their story of how they got to where they are today
- Q&A follows after all have spoken
- The panel will take place in the medical school main auditorium 2:45 - 3:30 pm.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: TUESDAY, APRIL 11
These events are very well received by students and are an important part of how they explore their career options. The CMHF will track and share all student feedback with presenters.
Janice McNorgan, Program Coordinator
(c) 519-659-7625 | (e) email@example.com