An acclaimed clinical scientist
Graduating in medicine from McGill University, Dr. Meakins pursued post-graduate training in the United States before returning to Montreal. By 1912, Dr. Meakins was appointed assistant physician at the Royal Victoria Hospital, lecturer in medicine and pathology, and Director of Experimental Medicine at McGill. After serving in the First World War, he became the Christion Professor of Therapeutics at the University of Edinburgh. In 1924, Dr. Meakins was recruited back to McGill where he assumed the titles of professor and chair of Medicine, physician-in-chief at Royal Victoria Hospital and, perhaps his greatest legacy, director of the McGill University Clinic. It was at the Clinic that Dr. Meakins demonstrated his pioneering spirit by initiating collaborations between basic medical scientists and clinicians.